Army Reserve Troops Deploy Again

WASHINGTON — In another sign of the severe strain overseas deployments are putting on the nation’s part-time troops, the Army Reserve is about to send 160 soldiers back to Afghanistan and Iraq 10 months after many returned from a one-year tour of duty overseas.

Army officials said Monday that the move would mark the first time the Army had sent active or Reserve soldiers back to Afghanistan or Iraq less than 12 months after they returned home. That would violate a guideline set by Gen. Peter Schoomaker, the Army’s top general. Several soldiers involved said privately that they worry the new missions will damage morale and re-enlistment rates.

The call-up has already taken a casualty, the unusual dismissal of one officer who was assigned to head overseas. Capt. Steve McAlpin of Rochester, N.Y., was relieved of his duties as a civil affairs team leader last week for questioning the fairness and legality of the orders in private discussions with his superiors.

If you follow the link you’ll be taken to where it’s posted at Military.com. At the bottom of the article is a pop-up link to a discussion if anyone’s interested in getting involved.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.